Roofing inspection is something that not all homeowners remember doing every now and then. Ideally, it should be done at least twice a year or whenever your Birmingham roofing needs repair or replacement. The key to good inspection is knowing what to look for and where to look.
What to Look For
Yes, we don’t have all the time in the world to bother with some kind of odd task. But you can still help prevent costly upkeeps and inspect your roof in a jiffy. One way is through using a pair of binoculars since we do not recommend climbing up a ladder. Check for the following on your roofing system:
- Rust spots and cracked caulks on the roof flashing
- Cracked and worn out rubber boots around the vent pipes
- Broken and missing shingles
- Blistering, curling, and collapsing shingles
- Formation of lichen and moss that signals possible decaying underneath
Where to Look
Signs of deteriorating roofing in Birmingham are as evident on the inside as they are outside. Sometimes, it can really be difficult to determine whether your roof needs repair or not. However, it pays to know where to look for the early signs of trouble:
- Dark spots / areas on ceiling
- Flaking and peeling paint on the bottom of roof extensions
- Damp or moist spots near fireplace
- Water marks on pipe vents
You can choose to look in these areas all at once or as you go along. Just take note of what you see and where you found it.
BONUS TIP: Make a checklist to note every roof inspection you have done or will be doing in fall and spring. This will help you in reassessing your roof in the future. Take note of the following:
- Examined ceilings and interior walls for water stains
- Inspected shingles
- Cleaned gutters
- Checked around pipes and chimneys
- Had roofing inspected by the experts
Even with a quick inspection, it is possible to keep your home dry and comfortable. We can help here in Tittle Brothers Construction. As a GAF® Master Elite™ roofing contractor, we offer a range of quality roofing options from asphalt shingles to TruSlate® roofing, backed by the best warranties in the industry. So let our expert team help you with your roofing needs. Give us a call today for a free in-home estimate.