Roofing Warranty Explained
Learn about the differences between workmanship warranties and standard and extended roofing warranties. It is important you have adequate warranty protection. Roofing warranties can seem overwhelmingly complicated. Tittle Brothers Construction is here to help understand your coverage so you can make an informed decision about your roofing material and who installs it.
Understanding the Basics of Roofing Warranties
There are three main types of roofing warranties:
- The standard manufacturer’s warranty that covers the products you purchase
- A workmanship warranty from your contractor that covers the installation
- An extended manufacturer’s warranty that covers contractor workmanship along with expanded coverage for the products
Let’s take a closer look at the coverage provided by each type and explain what it means to you as a homeowner.
Standard Manufacturers’ Warranties
Most roofing shingles come with a basic limited lifetime warranty, which is the industry standard. In most cases, a lifetime warranty means you’re covered as long as you own your home. The degree of protection you receive depends on the definition of “limited,” and this can vary depending on the manufacturer:
- Most manufacturer warranties strictly cover the cost of defective materials, so you’re responsible for any labor charges to remove and dispose of failed shingles and install the replacements.
- Most manufacturers cover the cost of replacing defective shingles for the first few years and then offer prorated coverage from that point on. If any shingles are found to be defective during the initial period, the manufacturer gives you replacement shingles at no cost. This initial coverage also includes labor costs for installation of the replacement shingles but doesn’t cover tear-off and disposal of the defective shingles. If a failure happens during the prorated period, you’ll receive just a portion of the cost or a lesser amount of new shingles.
- Industry-wide, these standard manufacturer warranties only provide coverage against factory defects: they don’t cover shingles that prematurely fail because mistakes were made during installation, or issues with any other components your roofer installed, such as ice and water shield, underlayment, flashing or ventilation products. Depending on the manufacturer of these other components, they may be covered by individual warranties against defects, as well.
Contractor Workmanship Warranties
The contractor who installs your roofing plays a key role in its performance and longevity. Reputable, skilled roofers stand behind each installation job with a workmanship warranty. The length of this type of warranty can vary a lot depending on the contractor, but some offer lifetime coverage. While a longer coverage period is better, a good workmanship warranty should protect you against material failures that occur because of worker errors or improper installation techniques regardless of the coverage term. Tittle Brothers Construction offers up to a lifetime workmanship warranty.
Contractor workmanship warranties typically cover the cost of labor and any materials needed to make necessary repairs, and many also cover any related damages done to the home’s interior, as well as your furnishings and personal effects.
Contractor warranties typically exclude issues that aren’t related to their installation workmanship, such as:
- Storm, high wind, and impact damage
- Water damage due to ice dams
- Damages if the roof was altered after installation
- Harm caused by foot traffic
- Leaks triggered by falling tree limbs or wind-driven debris
Factors such as a contractor’s length of time in business, their track record of doing quality work, and commitment to customer satisfaction should trump any warranty they claim to offer, so be sure to vet anyone you’re considering hiring thoroughly.
Extended Manufacturer Warranties = Comprehensive Coverage
Leading manufacturers understand the direct connection between installation quality and how well their roofing products perform long-term. To help homeowners get lasting value and provide peace of mind, they offer optional extended warranty coverage on new roofs installed by authorized contractors, such as Tittle Brothers, who are certified to install the roofing system according to the manufacturer’s installation requirements. Tittle Brothers is a Platinum Preferred Contractor. That means we are in the top tier of contractors recommended by Owens Corning®. Owens Corning® Roofing Platinum and Preferred Contractors are the only roofing professionals authorized to provide an extended warranty.
Most extended warranties are available for an additional cost and require that you have a complete roof system installed, which usually includes certain coordinating components such as:
- Ice and water barriers
- Hip and ridge cap shingles
- Soffit and ridge vents
- Starter and field shingles
The most comprehensive extended warranties offered by trusted manufacturers provide a range of benefits, such as:
- Coverage for all roof system components: Excluding flashing, wood decking and fasteners
- Lengthy, non-prorated, or continuous, coverage for defective materials: Typically includes labor costs for repairs or replacements and is extendable for up to 50 years
- Workmanship coverage against installation errors of the roof system: Term may be lifetime with prorating beginning after a certain number of years and includes labor, tear-off and disposal costs
Don’t Forget To Register Your Warranty
Once you’ve chosen a brand of roofing and an installation contractor and decided that an extended warranty is your best option, be sure to check the manufacturer’s requirements for registering your warranty. If an authorized contractor is handling the installation of your new roof, they may have to register its warranty with the manufacturer within a specified time frame.
To learn more about your warranty with Title Brothers Construction, contact one of our knowledgeable representatives today at 734-225-2525.
Owen Corning Roofing Warranties
Owens Corning Warranty Documents
Frequently Asked Questions About Owens Corning Roofing Warranty
Tittle Brothers Construction is a Certified Platinum Preferred Contractor for Owens Corning®. That means we are qualified to extend the Owens Corning® Roofing Warranties. Owens Corning® Roofing offers one of the best warranties in the industry. For added peace of mind, Tittle Brothers Construction makes it fast and easy to learn about and compare our different roofing warranties, so you can find the best coverage option for your home.
Is A Roof Warranty Important?
A new roof is a big investment, typically involving thousands of your hard-earned dollars and lasting 25, 30, 40 years or more. As with any big investment, knowing in advance what your warranty covers could save you thousands in the event that problems arise with your roof.
What Are The Chances I Will Have A Problem With My New Owens Corning Roof?
Based on Owens Corning’s state-of-the-art manufacturing process, the odds of having a problem with a new Owens Corning roof is about 1 in 1000! However, the chance of problems is low, but never zero.
How Do I Register My Owens Corning Warranty
To register a warranty, please register online at https://www.owenscorning.com or call 1-800-ROOFING (1-800-766-3464).
What Does A "Lifetime Warranty" Mean?
As an owner of a single family detached home, lifetime coverage means that your warranty is in effect for manufacturing defects as long as you own your home. Coverage period is reduced for non-single family or commercial structures.
Can Any Contractor Offer An Owen Corning Warranty?
No. Tittle Brothers Construction is a Platinum Preferred Contractor. That means we are in the top tier of contractors recommended by Owens Corning®. Owens Corning® Roofing Platinum and Preferred Contractors are the only roofing professionals authorized to provide an extended warranty.